1. Obtain consent for collecting, using and disclosing personal information, except when inappropriate (for example, in an emergency or when consent would compromise the availability or accuracy of the information). Obtain the consent in a form appropriate to the kind of information concerned. If an individual modifies or withdraws his or her consent, respect the changes.
2. Collect personal information only for reasonable purposes and only as much as is reasonable for those purposes. Except when inappropriate, collect personal information directly from the individual concerned and inform the individual of how you will use and disclose the information.
3. Use and disclose personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected, unless the individual consents or the Act permits the use or disclosure without consent.
4. On request, provide an individual with information about the existence, use and disclosure of the individual’s personal information and provide access to that information, if reasonable.
5. On request, correct information that is inaccurate.
6. Ensure that any personal information is as accurate as necessary for the collection purposes; ensure that personal information is secure; and keep the information only as long as reasonable for business and legal reasons.
7. Designate an individual to make sure we comply with the Act and make information about the organization’s management of personal information available on request.
8. We may monitor or record communications between the individual client and our representatives (e.g. telephone calls) in order to enhance and maintain client service quality, to protect the individual and Costen & Associates, to confirm our discussions with the individual, or for training purposes. We will use this information solely for the above purposes.